Saturday, June 25, 2011

Book 25-26 - A Feast for Crows

As mentioned before, I've been reading some monstrous books that are best (I think!) counted as multiple texts.

Book 25-26: A Feast for Crows, by George R.R. Martin

Oh, Martin. The first three books in your A Song of Ice and Fire series have been amazing. Brilliant characters, fascinating plots and sub plots and details that made my head sing, particularly upon re-reading.

But I don't think I will read A Feast for Crows again, unless you torture us by taking another five year hiatus between volumes.

The point-of-view characters I'd come to love are largely gone! Who are these new people, and why should I care about them? Where are Bran, Jon, and Tyrion? What's going on at the Wall, and Beyond? The POV characters we do get don't know, so neither do the readers.

This is not to say that the book does not have its good points - we learn more about certain characters and their motivations, and watch one in particular grow quite a bit over the latter half of the novel; I don't exactly like this person now, but I can understand his motivations more.

By the time the book was over, I wasn't even sure that I'd *read* the book before! (Now, Dianna, don't fret - you'll like the book - I just think I was unprepared for how different this book was from the first three. Not a bad different, just one I wasn't ready for).

How many more days until A Dance with Dragons is released, shipped, and at my door!?!?!? It can't come soon enough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment