Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ideas brewing

So I have this lame idea. Well, I don't think it's lame.

Anyway, if you've been keeping up with my book "review" posts, you have read about how much I adore George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books (the ones that have given rise to the amazing Game of Thrones series on HBO). The world Martin has created is SO detailed. Books three and four include listings of all important living/recently deceased members of each house...

Along with drawings of what their sigils look like. Martin also uses the sigils as buttons on his website, as seen here.

Inspiration!

A quilt, four blocks long by three blocks wide, each block featuring the sigil and the words of one of the major houses: Arryn, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Lannister, Martell, Stark, Targaryen, Tully, and Tyrell, as well as three minor ones, like maybe Tarth... or a block, solid black, for the Night's Watch, with their oath embroidered?

Their oath goes like this:

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fi re that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honour to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all nights to come."

(source: http://gameofthrones.net/houses-of-westeros/40-independents/336-the-nights-watch.html)

It will come down to artwork, I think. The sigils on Martin's website are detailed but tiny; the ones that HBO has provided, like this one for House Tully, are simpler, but perhaps not as accurate as I've envisioned:

So we'll see. I like the idea, myself, but I'm a nerd. :)

1 comment:

  1. *disclaimer- this is said by a geek, with a geek husband, who finds being a geek the greatest thing ever*
    Your geekness is awesome, and I ADORE the idea of a quilt using heraldry. I think I'm going to have to do something like that, but not with his books since I haven't read them yet (they're on my list though)

    ReplyDelete