Sunday, August 7, 2011

Grammy

I finished up the gift quilt I've been working on (which I'll blog about next week, after it's been given - don't want to ruin the surprise!), I had to start packing for our impending vacation...you know, because I actually had something to pack!

In doing so, I found these: reasons why I'm hoping sewing (or crafting in general) is a genetically passed on trait. My grandmother made this sweater:

Which unfortunately doesn't fit me - sleeves are too short, and the neckline is a bit...um, unattractive, as well as uncomfortable, because it's just a straight line. But Grammy made it, so I'll keep it, of course!

I also have these two afghans:



I don't keep them out right now, as I don't entirely trust my cats not to have a good time with them (read: claw them to bits, as Molly is wont to do)...but they're delightful, I think, nonetheless. :)

Unfortunately, Grammy passed away in 2001, long before I took up quilting or sewing or any such things. She tried to teach me to crochet when I was 7 or 8, but I wasn't interested. She also taught me counted cross-stitch, but that didn't show results fast enough for my pre-teen self.

Do you have crafters in your family who inspired you to get involved with sewing or other such endeavors?

1 comment:

  1. I come from a long line of crafters. It is always fun to look at the things they made. I've never met them and yet feel connected through the art in the objects. I wonder how they would like all of the "new" gadgets.

    That is a beautiful sweater....perhaps you could wear it over a turtle neck or with a scarf to alter the neckline.

    ReplyDelete