Monday, October 31, 2011

Tuesday Link-Ups!



Small Blog Meet


So I've been pretty good at actually making progress - crazy, huh? The bummer about this time of year, though, is that it's getting harder to share projects on here because someone who will be receiving said progress might actually see it - and that would kinda ruin it, huh?

Anyway, these are two projects I can share - hooray!

I'm still pretty much a beginner at this quilting thing - but I've found myself quite taken with the jelly roll race quilt. My first two finished quilts were both jelly roll race-style, and I'm making three more: one I can't share, one I just finished quilting tonight, and another that's still a heap of strips!


This first one, which I just finished quilting tonight (straight line, 2" apart) is for my 10 year old niece, Paige. She's absolutely adorable and I can't wait to see the look on her face when she gets a quilt from Aunt Stephanie! It's backed mostly with purple flannel. I'm really proud of how doing these jelly roll race quilts over and over is making me pay attention to keeping the back smooth! My first two were pretty wrinkly, but this is the 5th quilt I've quilted and it's WAY better! 


This pile of strips is for another gift quilt, and will also be jelly roll race style. I don't use actually jelly rolls - I just cut strips from the fat quarters and remnants in my stash! A few months ago I went through my stash and grouped together fabrics I thought looked good together, cut them into strips (these are 2 1/2", but I've done wider and thinner - you just get different sizes!), and stuff them into plastic baggies - think homemade quilt kits! When I need a gift, I pick a kit and stitch away! :) I have some weddings coming up, so I'll have to make a few more up!!

How do you make gift giving easier? Do you find it hard to keep gifts a secret, too!!?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh im rubbish at keeping secrets, I just want to give things to people straight away. I have to really restrain myself! Great idea of making up your own kits for when you need a project

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea to put a couple of quilting projects in a bag all ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt looks really good, the person getting it will be so excited!! I think the small blog meet is great! You get to show off your own blog, but I have had so much fun making new friends & following new blogs. I can't wait to see more from you & I hope you can stop by my blog as well. January T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just Love Secrets!

    My daughter and oldest grandaughter are just the worst at keeping anything quiet!

    Your doing great! Kim

    ReplyDelete